Wednesday 29 October 2008

Judging books by their covers...

which I know I shouldn't do, and I don't always use this method for choosing my books but I do have a magpie eyes for all things printed. I like the smell as well, I know, wierd. And the more used the better sometimes, love second-hand books. So having shared with you what I'm reading I thought I would show you some of my favourite books, for their cover and stories.

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

This is one of my all-time favourite books, soon to be a major motion picture (love that phrase, sounds so old school) with Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana. I'm not sure how I feel about it being made into a film yet, we shall have to wait and see how good it is, but I always think the book wins. This is the greatest love story ever and you must read it!
I'm still waiting for her next book, she has a collection of illustrations but nothing else as far as I know. Will be sure to post when she does!!

My Family and Other Animals by Gerard Durrell



This book pierced my imagination so fiercely I can still remember the visions conjured through reading it as if they are my own memories. It is a children's book but it has something for everyone and is a real source of escapism. I think it's set in Corfu, and to this day I still want to go visit but am scared it will not be as precious as in my imagination!

Diary by Chuck Palahniuk



Chuck Palahniuk is probably best known for Fight Club and having a name that is impossible to spell (at least for me!). This book is disturbing at best. Claustrophobic and gripping and quite wierd. But I love the cover and it's a bit Donnie Darko-ish in that it makes you think, and you think you've understood then you forget and are confused all over again. Again, this probably just applies to me!

I also like this version of the cover (below)




To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee



Classic. Have yet to see the film, but again, I don't want to spoil the memories.

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell



Hard to see in this pic exactly why I love this cover so much, as it uses a stunning turquoise blue metallic for the trees. The books theme is quite Bladerunner-esque. Not sure why I keep relating them to films or other books as they are all brilliant in their own right!

The Book of Lost Things by John Connelly



A grown-up fairytale, twisted and totally absorbing. Very dark! You have to see this hardback version in the flesh, as t'were to fully appreciate how magical it is. Gold metallic, as if its been carved.

White Teeth by Zadie Smith



Some people will probably think this criminal as I know it's a popular book, but I am YET to read this. I have tried but I think I wasn't 'in the right place' if you know what I mean. Not in the mood. Anyway, love the cover and I'm saving it for a rainy day!

No comments: